Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Part IV- Let there be light!

Maybe the most important thing for plants, and life in general, is light. Together with carbon (in the form of injected CO2) they create our little piece of nature.

There are many issues with lighting, its luminosity spectrum and shape influence the look and growth of the plants.
There are many kinds of lights but the dimensions limited my options to 15W T8 fluorescents or 24/36W PL lights. Metal Halides were ruled out as being too bright and expensive (although I might change sometime in the future).
I liked the variety of T8 bulbs available and people seem to like the ones that are special for growing plants. So far I have two 4500K and two 6000K lights and I'm going to get two Growlux or 935's in addition. I don't want to put more than 6 bulbs so if the luminosity won't be enough I'll over drive some of them.

I've started installing the lights yesterday, the pictures show the test runs. Once I get all the wiring correct I'll tidy it up so they stay invisible and make a cover for the top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.