Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Change of plans OR Step III - The air we breathe

Well, I thought I had it all planed out… low-tech tank, simple, low maintenance… Not any more it isn't:



That’s right, I'm going high tech. got my hands on this Red Sea CO2 pro system with a 5kg cylinder. As new just not in the original packaging, such a nice opportunity, I couldn't just let it go…
There's a duel gauge regulator, a needle valve, bubble counter, the Red Sea 500 reactor, tubing and a CO2 level indicator set. The stuff looks very good.
I did a search on the internet to get an idea of what this system is like, looks fairly promising. It is self contained and it suits a wide range of tanks. Unlike with a packaged set I got this one without the manual, not a big problem, though, I just downloaded it from the Red Sea site. The manual is fairly straight forward but even without one the system is simple enough so setup is no big deal.

I like the design of the needle valve and bubble counter, putting them together on the side of the aquarium is sensible. I also like the fact that they attach with suction pads so that I can remove them easily.

My preference is to have an inline reactor so as to keep it out of site and have less tubes running in the tank. Nevertheless, I would like to try out this Red Sea CO2 reactor 500. It has a nice design and I'd like to see how it works. I read on the net that some people found it problematic at high flow rates so I would like to give this little baby a test drive and see how far it can go.

My only problem so far is with the regulators connection to the cylinder. The way the sealing is done you can't close it without a wrench or spanner. I think this issue is handled in a better way on other regulators I've seen, where ones hand is enough for securing the thread. This isn’t a significant issue, though, since you only do this once every few month.
My first impression is therefore very good but before I can put it to use I have some rethinking to do with regards to the lighting, substrate and a few other things in light of my change to a high-tech tank.

No comments: